Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 1 of challenge

I'm feeling so-so about our first week.  It was a lot harder than I thought it would be and by the end of the week I was getting questions like "Mom, when are we going to get our normal food back?"  and "Why are we doing this.  Do I look sick to you?"  So I wish I would've started out with just telling them what the heck we're doing.


Successes:
  •  Cams tried a few new foods and guess what - she liked them!  SHOCKER!  This is such a hard issue for her to tackle and I'm really proud of her.
  • I made banana bread out of whole wheat flour and I guess if I was in a handcart going over the plains, I would eat it.  
  • I took the banana bread as our snack to the mall - yes, I've become one of those moms.
  • We cut the sugar down tremendously out of our diet.  LOVE THAT!  We skipped the cake on John's birthday and no one flinched.
  • I learned there are so many good tasting healthy foods for you.  Now I need to keep finding more.
Failures:

  • By Friday, I was too tired to cook so I made John bring home Little Caesars pizza.  
  • I should've cleaned out my pantry to the bare minimum of 'junk' so the girls wouldn't sniff out the Doritos in the back.  
  • I need to do major prepping before hand so if I have to leave, there will be food and snacks for the kids.
Basically, I feel like it was a successful week even though we had a few failures.  The benefits of this challenge will be life long and I know it will be a journey.  Who knows how deep we'll get into this but as long as I'm learning and the kids are learning, it will be worth it!