Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have amazing grandparents. Grandpa Ahlstrom died a few years back and Grandma Ahlstrom lives in Utah so I'm not as close to them as I am to Mama & Papa. I think when I was younger, I kind of took them for granted and thought everyone has grandparents like I did. Boy, was I wrong. Now that I'm married and have 3 kids, I CANNOT imagine having 12!!! Mama had 11 kids while the oldest was 15! What was she thinking? She'll tell you she wasn't thinking and then laugh about it. I love spending time with my grandma up at the cabin. About a month ago, my kids and I were up at the cabin and one night, I got a huge migraine and could hardly function. Mama happened to be at her cabin and I called her over to help me put the kids to bed. I felt like an idiot but I really needed help and she came over and saved me. She looks for opportunities to serve others and that's what her life is all about. My grandpa also is always looking to help others. One Sunday night we were over at "cousins" and John & I were talking about this fundraiser we had just had for our brother-in-law who was fighting cancer. He was let down that no one had let him know about this fundraiser and generously offered some money. You think he gets tired of people asking him for favors and I'm sure he does, but when there is a real cause, you can always count on him. They are such great examples to me and I really got lucky having them in my life.
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
So lucky
Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have amazing grandparents. Grandpa Ahlstrom died a few years back and Grandma Ahlstrom lives in Utah so I'm not as close to them as I am to Mama & Papa. I think when I was younger, I kind of took them for granted and thought everyone has grandparents like I did. Boy, was I wrong. Now that I'm married and have 3 kids, I CANNOT imagine having 12!!! Mama had 11 kids while the oldest was 15! What was she thinking? She'll tell you she wasn't thinking and then laugh about it. I love spending time with my grandma up at the cabin. About a month ago, my kids and I were up at the cabin and one night, I got a huge migraine and could hardly function. Mama happened to be at her cabin and I called her over to help me put the kids to bed. I felt like an idiot but I really needed help and she came over and saved me. She looks for opportunities to serve others and that's what her life is all about. My grandpa also is always looking to help others. One Sunday night we were over at "cousins" and John & I were talking about this fundraiser we had just had for our brother-in-law who was fighting cancer. He was let down that no one had let him know about this fundraiser and generously offered some money. You think he gets tired of people asking him for favors and I'm sure he does, but when there is a real cause, you can always count on him. They are such great examples to me and I really got lucky having them in my life.