Tuesday, February 15, 2011

GARTH

Photobucket
When my parents gave us Garth Brooks tickets in Las Vegas for Christmas, I honestly didn't know what to expect.  All I knew was that I did like his music although I'm not a huge country fan so of course it would be a good concert.  Good was an understatement.  This was more like a musician's spiritual experience.  You didn't have to like Garth to like this concert but you LOVED him after the concert.  When we first walked into the theater, this is what we saw...

Photobucket

My pictures are blurry because you weren't allowed to take any pictures at all.  No band, no stage crew, no nothing.  Just him and his guitar.  I still wasn't really knowing what to expect but I knew there would be some good songs.  Again, 'good' was an understatement.


The show started with him running out on stage in clothes that looked like he had been doing yard work all day.  He probably was.  They say that he never has any costume changes and whatever he comes in from Oklahoma is what he wears.  He flies in on his jet the day of the concert and does his 2 concerts and flies back out.
No wranglers, no fancy cowboy shirts, just him.  Loved it.  Then he starts out by singing songs through each decade that inspired him to be what he is.  Everyone from Elton John, to James Taylor, to Cat Stevens.  So random and yet he nailed every song - some were even better than the artist who originally sang them.  I really couldn't believe how great his voice sounded.  Throughout the concert, I felt myself loving every second and when I would look over to John and ask a question, he was mesmerized and wouldn't take his eyes off Garth either. He would answer with a 'huh-uh' or 'nuh-uh'.  No joke.  John was in absolute heaven.  In between all of the oldies, he would throw in one of his classics which would get the crowd on our feet and singing along as loud as we could.  We knew every word.  Who doesn't. 

After 2 hours that felt like 2 minutes, the concert ended and we felt like we were 'born again' musicians.  John called a breakfast meeting with Scotty, Joe & the girlies to discuss the concert and we had to write down each and every song Garth played so that John could now play them non stop at my house. He's hit a new level of motivation.

Anyways, this was just an amazing show.  Garth is a great singer, storyteller, but above all he is an awesome entertainer.  I would've gone again that night if it were possible.  They say some lady waited in line 17 hours for tickets before she fainted.  I thought she was crazy, but now I would've been there with her.  
Thanks mom and dad for this best present.  

Photobucket

Photobucket
These were the other lucky people who got to hang out with us for the weekend.  haha  We loved being with them and getting to know the girls better.  Cute couples, I tell ya.  I loved being with my guy too.
Photobucket


Oh, and of course, John had to drive by the new Hoover Dam Bridge and made me get a bazillion pictures for Chet.
Photobucket